Monday, October 26, 2009

The Perils of Painting

The tall ceilings that grace our lovely nest are definitely a blessing and a curse. When we moved in all of the walls in our house were your standard builder flat beige. I like to refer to this color as "Pancake Batter." I wanted a color to warm up the space since it is so massive and open. What color do you think we picked? Cue the color....Grey!

Here is the quintessential before shot. Note the pancake batter walls accented with maroon and sage green paint. We are Aggies, and are very fond of the color maroon. I just don't like it on my walls. Here is a shot of Jason's dad up about 20+ feet in the air taking down the awful, faded and dusty maroon draperies that came with the house. It's a dangerous job, but somebody has to do it!
The painting begins! Many doubted that this endeavour could actually happen, but when I set my mind on doing something I find a way to accomplish it. So how does one paint 20+ foot ceilings you may ask. Images of scaffolding and Michelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel filled my head. Luckily, during a trip to Home Depot we discovered the handy dandy Mr. Long Arm painting pole. It costs about $40 and sure beats paying thousands of dollars to hire professional painters to come in and paint these 20+ foot walls.


Priming over the sage green and maroon.

To paint the very top of the walls that hit the ceiling, Jason attached a painting trimmer to
Mr. Long Arm.

The painting continues. The whole process only took a full weekend last March 2009. We were able to get two coats of paint up on these walls.

Ahhh...I am in love with the new color!
Paint Colors:
Walls- Behr's Gentle Rain
Niches-Behr's Anonymous
The painting warrior! Camo shirt and all. ;)
Heart,
P.S. click on the images to make them larger

2 comments:

Unknown said...

man...I am so cool

la-vida-cia said...

Oh jason!...too funny but I do love the color.